Have you heard of therapeutic beds? If yes, then I'm sure you already have some idea about low air and alternating pressure mattresses.
Whether it's about someone bedridden, someone who's suffering from body aches, or someone who's generally recommended prolonged bed rest, therapeutic mattresses can play a vital role in the healing of them all.
The term may be new to some, but for anyone suffering from such a disease or physicians in general, they know how beneficial a therapeutic mattress can be.
In this article today, I'll address everything you need to know about alternating pressure and low air mattresses.
Difference Between a Low Air & Alternating Pressure Mattress
Before we begin, let me just give you a central idea about how the two kinds differ from each other. Have a look at the table below if you're in a rush and don't have time to get into the details.
|No. of Characteristics||Low Air Mattress||Alternating Pressure Mattress|
|Best for bed sores||✔||✔|
|Best for pressure ulcers||✔|
|Beneficial for neurological disorders||✔|
|Beneficial for Autoimmune system||✔|
|Beneficial for burn patients||✔|
|Comfort and support||✔||✔|
Low Air Mattress
Do you have any idea about the mattresses used in hospitals, especially the ones used in intensive care units? They're mostly low air mattresses.
Are you wondering why they're preferred over traditional foam mattresses? Well, there are many reasons.
They're Beneficial for Pressure Ulcers
Low air mattresses are said to be incredibly beneficial for people who are at risk of developing pressure ulcers or the ones that are already suffering from the issue.
These mattresses can provide the patients with adequate support while resting, and they're proven to be very effective in protecting their bodies against bed ulcers.
They Can Help With Pressure Wounds
Have you ever experienced pressure wounds? They can be really bad and uncomfortable as well.
Constant pressure due to sleeping on hard surfaces can often lead you towards soft tissue injuries, which ultimately causes your skin cells to die.
A low air mattress can help provide your body with the required oxygen and other nutrients with its mild friction and pressure. So in case of having pressure wounds, a low air mattress is what you need.
It can prevent as well as heal the existing pressure wounds wonderfully while providing you with a good night's sleep in the meantime.
They Work Well For Certain Neurological Conditions
Neurological disorders are quite common these days. One in every five people suffers from spine injuries, traumatic brain conditions, migraines, and more.
A low air mattress offers minimal friction with excellent breathability. Therefore, it's considered quite beneficial for such conditions that affect your mobility as well as sensory perception.
Besides that, low air mattresses can work well for people with medical issues that affect blood circulation. An air mattress provides sufficient oxygen while you're asleep, and as a result, it keeps the blood flowing smoothly while eliminating body aches.
My Top Air Mattress Picks
I guess I have explained quite well how a low air mattress can help you in living your day to day life with several medical problems.
If you're looking to purchase a low air mattress too, let me recommend a few amazing ones that are worth the cost.
- This combination therapy 8" mattress replacement system provides both alternating pressure and low air loss to optimize...
- Each one of the 20, 8" deep air bladders are easily removed and replaced and a CPR valve allows for rapid deflation
- Pillow function maintains the 3 air cells at the head of the bed in static mode for patient comfort,Mattress can operate...
- ALLEVIATES PRESSURE SPOTS, BEDSORES AND ULCERS: Designed to be used in the prevention, treatment and management of...
- VARIABLE PRESSURE SETTINGS: Customize the frequency of the alternating inflation and deflation and the overall amount of...
- ULTRA-QUIET PUMP: The variable pressure pump is ultra-quiet to ensure a peaceful rest. The pressure pump has two...
Alternating Pressure Mattress
The next kind that I am going to review for you is an alternating pressure mattress.
Okay. What is the first thing that comes in your mind when talking about alternating pressure mattresses?
Well, it serves a similar function of reducing the pressure for patients at risk of developing bed sores or ulcers. However, you have the option of changing the pressure according to the friction level you wish to have in an alternating pressure mattress. The difference between the two is quite simple, isn't it?
Alternating pressure mattresses are used in both homes and hospitals. No wonder, they bring along a massive number of health benefits for you, precisely the reason why they're popularly known and used in the world.
They're Great for Burn Patients
Have you ever visited a burn unit in any hospital? Have you observed what kind of mattresses they use? Well, most of the burn units in hospitals prefer using alternating pressure mattresses.
A burnt part of the body can be a lot more sensitive as compared to others; therefore, having a soft and plush surface to rest is crucial.
An alternating pressure mattress can provide your burnt skin the air and oxygen it requires to heal. It brings along minimal friction.
Even then, in case of any sort of discomfort, you can always control the friction level in an alternating pressure mattress. What else do you expect from a medi-bed anyway?
They Bring Comfort for Autoimmune Disorders
Immune system disorders can be very severe. Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and arthritis are some of the commonly found immune system disorders.
Needless to say, such conditions hit hard, and they're indeed tricky to manage and live with. An alternating pressure mattress can help manage the disease effectively by alleviating the pain and fatigue while providing you with additional comfort and support.
It can smartly distribute the pressure of your body by filling and deflating the air cells within so minimal to no contact points are left behind. The pressure change due to loading and deflating of air cells is quite minimized as well, so you need not worry about it.
My Top Alternating Pressure Mattress Picks
- PREVENT BED SORES. A medical mattress that inflates with alternating pressure in order to prevent bed sores and...
- GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP. Bedsore prevention mattress overlay comes with a very quiet, high quality pump. Sleep soundly...
- INSTALLS OVER HOME MATTRESS. Similar to hospital mattresses, this overlay is to prevent bed sores or for those...
- ALLEVIATES BED SORES AND ULCERS : Provides relief from bed sores and ulcers caused by extended bedrest
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION : Premium vinyl alternating pressure mattress supports up to 300 pounds.The waterproof mattress...
- QUIET VARIABLE PRESSURE PUMP : Variable pressure pump is ultra quiet for restful sleep. Producing constant air flow,...
- ULTRA SIMPLE WHISPER QUIET PUMP: This hospital grade air mattress has a easy control knob without complicated and...
- SAFE, FAST & EASY: The mattress and pump system is simple to use and inflates quickly. A CPR emergency function lets you...
- LOW AIR LOSS: 8 ventilated cells ensure the mattress retains air, keeps the mattress cool and wounds and bed sores dry....
Lastly, the little I can say is that suffering is always difficult. Coping with medical conditions is challenging, but living with them is even harder.
I reckon that these little things like mattresses cannot really cure a medical condition.
Yet, I would say it can make significant differences in your life, which makes them worth giving a shot. Get well soon, my pals!